Full transparency I’d never heard of Cilbir or searched for a Turkish Eggs recipe until a few months ago after late-night scrolling through Instagram. Then the search was on for the history and flavors in the Cilbir Eggs recipe so I could try this visual delight. The food photography of the jammy eggs, green of the fresh dill and the crunchy bread that is used for dipping caught me eye and I needed to discover more. So this began my hunt to know what exactly Cilbir is.
Ingredients for Creamy Turkish Eggs – Cilbir
Tips and Notes
Turkish Eggs Recipe with Aleppo Pepper – Cilbir
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, Plain
- 1 clove Fresh Garlic finely minced
- pinch Sea Salt Flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo Pepper
- 2 springs fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Prepare the Greek yogurt first so it can be brought to room temperature while prepping and preparing the rest of the dish. In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, a small clove of minced garlic, and a pinch of flaky sea salt. Mix and set aside until ready to use.
- To prepare your eggs, use a medium-sized pot filled with water enough to fully cover the eggs, and bring to a full boil over high heat.Lower the eggs into the boiling water. It is best to use a slotted spoon for easy handling of the eggs. Please keep the water to a boil and set your kitchen timer, and cook for 6 minutes once your eggs are placed in the water.Once the eggs are cooked for 6 minutes, remove and place them directly into an ice bath of cold water to stop the cooking.After a few minutes they should be cool enough to peel. You still want them to be warm for the meal.
- While the eggs are cooking prepare the brown Alpeppo butter. In a saute pan, melt the unsalted butter and continue to whisk lightly while it begins to brown over medium heat. Once the butter starts to brown, turn the heat off and add the teaspoon of Aleppo pepper and continue to whisk until foamy.
- On your serving plate, spread the yogurt mixture to create a fantastic landing place for your jammy eggs. Cut the eggs in half and place them over the mixture. Drizzle with the foamy brown butter. Complete by sprinkling the minced fresh dill, lemon zest, and a pinch of flaky salt.