It is always nice to know a Chef, and one that creates and shares her recipes is an added bonus when they are as easy as Shredded Salsa Chicken thighs. The recipes that Chef Laura Romito shares feature the salt blends that she created out of want from friends and family that have turned into a thriving business. High 5 Salts is a growing business with 4 different salt blends and also a salt-free blend called Fixer Upper.
The Mexican shredded chicken is only 3 ingredients, not including the spices; boneless skinless chicken thighs, salsa (your favorite store-bought brand will work), and an onion.
We generally have the spices in our spice pantry: cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. The trick that makes this so yummy is searing and browning the chicken before adding it to a crockpot or dutch oven.
We serve our chicken over lettuce, and tortilla chips, and dress with jalapeños and avocados. So much yumminess and refrigerates well for leftovers during the week.
To braise the chicken thighs it is best to have thick ceramic pot or cast iron pan. You will want to make sure it can with stand high heat so you can sear before simmering the chicken.
What to Serve with Shredded Salsa Chicken
Shredded Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- High 5 Salts Unboring Blend & Pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs olive oil for sauteing chicken
- Preheat a large, empty saute pan over high heat; allow pan to heat up for about 2 minutes.
- Season the chicken with High 5 Salts and pepper on both sides; add the oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat surface; add chicken and allow to brown throughly; after about 2 -3 minutes, try ot lift chieck from pan. If it sticks, wait another 30 seconds before trying again, then gently lift and turn the chicken to brown the second side
- If using a slow cocker, turn it on now at the highest setting
- Transfer the chicken to the slower cooker when browning is finished. If you are using dutch oven make sure it is heated and set in there.
- Add the diced onion to the saute pan and cook over medium high heat until golden and caramelized, about 5 minutes
- Add cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder to the onion and saute briefly to bring out the flavors in the spices
- Add the salsa to the saute pan and bring to a simmer, scraping the pan to remove any browned bits from the onion and chicken
- Pour the onion and salsa mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken; distribute the ingredients evenly – the liquid should just come about 3/4 of the way up the chicken
- Cover the slower cooker or dutch oven and lower heat to low or medium, depending on your cooker: allow chicken to simmer very gently for about 3 hours, or until chicken is fall apart tender. It could be less time for the stove top version
- Using two forks, shred chicken and mix well with the cooking liquid
- Serve with tortillas, lettuce, and guacamole.